World Meteorological Day 2020: 23rd March, Theme and Celebration
World Meteorological Day is celebrated on the 23rd of March every year. Particularly, World Meteorological Day 2020 commemorates the World Meteorological Organization’s establishment day, organization that came into force on March 23rd, 1950.
World Meteorological Day 2020 theme
The theme of World Meteorological Day this year, for March 23, 2020, is Climate and Water. It will align with the theme of World Water Day 2020 which is on March 22. The main focus will be on climate change and water concerns around the globe. The slogan for WMD 2020 is “Count Every Drop, Every Drop Counts”.
The official World Meteorological Day 2020 website has stated the theme as “freshwater is vital for life”. On an average, a human being cannot survive more than three days without it. Water is essential for the production of food, virtually all of our goods and services, and for the environment.
The world now faces increasing challenges posed by water crisis, floods and droughts and lack of access to clean supplies. There is an urgent need to improve forecasting, monitoring and management of water supplies and to tackle the problem of “too much, too little or too polluted water”. The theme will focus on frozen water, drought, floods and more.
World Meteorological Day Theme
- World Meteorological Day Themes reflect topical weather, climate or water-related issues.
- Besides, World Meteorological Day Theme 2019 is “The Sun, the Earth and the Weather”.
- Further, World Meteorological Day Theme 2020 is “Climate and Water”, which will align with the theme of World Water Day 2020.
- 2021 (proposed) World Meteorological Day theme is “The ocean, our climate and weather” in conjunction with the launch of the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable
History of World Meteorological Day
- The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) designated World Meteorological Day.
- Besides, the World Meteorological Organization is an intergovernmental association for meteorology.
- It was first established and began from the “Worldwide Meteorological Organization” Austria in the year 1873. The organization built up by the International Meteorological Congress at Vienna,
- The date of the Start of the World Meteorological Organization on 23 March 1950, named World Meteorological Day.
- This association reports a motto for World Meteorology Day consistently, and this day is praised in all part nations.
- Subsequently, around 191 enrollment takes place for the World Meteorological Organization in the overall Member States.
- The World Meteorological Organization consistently reports a motto for World Meteorology Day.
Why is World Meteorological Day Celebrated?
- Particularly, the World Meteorological Organization is to keep flow insights regarding the Earth’s air conduct, environmental corporations with the seas.
- The day majorly focuses on the importance of the Sun and how it helps to sustain life on earth.
World Meteorological Day Activities
- Generally, the World Meteorological Day arranges an assortment of projects and exercises every year.
- The World Meteorological Organization sorts out Scientific and Technical Forum, to talk about a blueprint of all the past exercises and accomplishments of the World Weather Watch.
- A variety of occasions of incorporates on this day such as meetings, presentations for experts of meteorology, symposium, banters on related points.
- Network pioneers and overall population additionally included in the celebration of the International Meteorological Day.