In brief it can be stated that horticulture has great scope for the following reasons
- To exploit great variability of agro climatic conditions.
- To meet the need for fruits, vegetables, flowers, spices, beverages in relation to population growth based on minimum nutritional and other needs.
- To meet the requirement of processing industry.
- To substitute import and increase export.
- To improve the economic conditions of the farmers and to engage more labourers to avert the problem of unemployment.
- To protect environment.
- Horticultural trees work in near semblance to forest trees in maintaining ecosphere
- They helps in transforming micro climate
- Provides shelter to birds, reptiles and other micro organisms and add to the geo-ecological diversity on the land
- Provides impetus to the writers, poets, thinkers and analysts and thus keeps their cultural impulse alive
- Adds to the survival of life-spheres of living entity